Monday, May 20, 2013

I love a good soup.

So I'm a big soup maker. One of my favorite go-tos is listed below. It can be as healthy - or unhealthy - as you want it to be. This is a take on something that Rachel Ray did once on her show and I've been running with it ever since. It's so simple, and I can't say I ever would have thought to do it myself. Tomatoes and chicken stock - so simple, and so good. I made this version for dinner recently and it was great.

Here's what you'll need:

1 large can diced tomatoes 
3 cups chicken stock (I like Progresso)
1/2 cup orzo
1 lb hot italian sausage
4-6 good size portobello mushroom caps
1/2 bag spinach (more if you're a big spinach fan)
4-6 cloves garlic (depending on your taste/preference)

To Season:

Onion Powder
Red Pepper Flakes
Basil
Oregano
Parsley
Salt/Pepper

Once you have your mis en place together simply open up your stock and your tomatoes and put them in a good sized pot together. Season to your preference. I'm heavy handed on oregano and parsley because they're two of my most favorite things in this world. Kick the pot on medium to get favors blending. Chop your mushroom caps pretty large - about an inch by inch - and drop them in your pot.

At this point get your sausage browning in a pan. Hopefully you bought ground sausage. If not, be sure to take the casing off them. Once those are browned up spoon the sausage into the soup. Drain out the fat, but leave a bit to heat up your garlic to get the flavors working. Heat that up for 20-30 seconds and into the soup it goes. Let that simmer away for a few minutes, 5-8.

Get your orzo in the pot and let that cook for 8-10 minutes. Rough chop your spinach and after the orzo is cooked toss in your spinach. Stir that in and it won't take long to wilt. Serve immediately. A chunk of crusty bread goes great with this dish.

I love it's versatility. You can really put anything you want in this base. Beans, more veggies, ground turkey (if you're trying to be health conscious). Mix it up. Have fun with this dish. A great quick dinner on a weeknight that makes an amazing lunch the next day. Eat well - and like Julia Child always said - "A cook must be fearless." Don't be afraid of failure. I haven't screwed this dish up so bad I couldn't eat it yet!


No comments:

Post a Comment